Old 16-11-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greengage cultivation

In article ,
says...

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| I had a Greengage Tree in the garden of my house in Leicester. Sadly felled
| to make way for blocks of flats.
|
| The tree was massive. Big enough for me to climb into and eat the fruit
| :-)))
|
| 25 - 30 ft high with the same spread.
|
| Hope that helps. (No idea its variety or age, but age wise would guess 20
| odd years)

Boggle. I didn't know that they got that big - the only ones I have
seen have been quite small.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It very much depends on the rootstock used and its only the more modern
trees where the use of dwarfing stock like "pixie" has made the trees
smaller, in the orchard on the farm where I grew up they were huge as
were the apple trees (but then again I last was there age 3 and most
things are huge at that age!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk