Old 16-11-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Don H3 Don H3 is offline

Default Help - Squirrels ate my garden

On Nov 15, 7:41 am, honeyrose
wrote:
I have recently returned to gardening after a couple of years off
looking after my sick mother. During that time I did little apart from
mow the lawn and some occasional weeding and the local squirrels, grown
fat on my uncollected apples have become fit and bold and aggressive.
This last spring and summer they ate or dug up virtually everything I
planted in the garden: they dug up and ate all my spring anemone bulbs
from their tubs, bit off all the tomatoes and capsicum plants in grow
bags, dug up the antirrhinum and sunflowers seedlings in the border,
dug up the lawn for buried apples and then finally this summer, the one
remaining sunflower which was growing on its own away from anything else
and had got to 10 feet? They ran up the stalk and bit the head off. I
tried a cat scarer and that scared the cats off but not the squirrels.
It seems impossible to stop them digging up or eating EVERYTHING I
plant. It never used to be a problem but I assume they have got bold
after having free run of the garden for two years. Can anyone recommend
any plants or vegetables (apart from daffodils) that squirrels don't
like? I have a small town garden in London.

Honeyrose

--
honeyrose

Around here housecats (if not overfed) will predate on squirrels.
I like the other ideas too though. I know squirrels feed
preferentially from bird feeders (being an arboreal critter) so
placing a well-greased feeder above a cistern with downward pointing
spikes around the sides should quickly provide you with a lot of
drowned rodents for use as fertilizer.
Or you could set up a platform to encourage them to visit a feeder,
and electrocute them as they walk across it.
Or you could just eliminate their nesting sites: If the population
density falls below a certain point, squirrels will stay off the
ground, hence away from your veggies.

Don