Old 16-11-2007, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Are Runner Bean Beans Edible?

On 15 Nov, 21:58, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,Dave Hill writes:

| Runner beans and Kidney beans are the same thing just that Kidney bean
| refers to just the seed whilst runner bean /green beans refer to the
| immature pods.

Er, no. Runner beans are Phaseolus coccineus, and dwarf / French /
kidney / etc. beans are Phaseolus vulgaris. Different species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I bow to your superior knowledge,
BUT in Wales runner beans are refered to as Kidney beans, and my
mother was Welsh so thats what I knew them as, but being brought up in
Sussex I also knew runner beans as stick beans, string beans and
runners

interesting article on beans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_bean

David Hill