Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Tish

Default I'm watering daily - So sue me!

On 30 Oct 2002 03:04:52 -0800, (Beechmere) wrote:

(Tish) wrote in message
My suggestion would be to think laterally. Instead of striving for
lawn right up to the base of the tree - a task that is doomed to
eventual failure, why not create a wide, mulched bed around the tree
using attractive mulch...

Did I mention that it's a front lawn, with no fence and no footpath
(Dumb Sutherland Council). The Tree is on the nature strip that
everybody walks on.

No, that didn't feature in the original email. You have my sympathy.
I have seen people here (Armidale, NSW) who have the same problem and
have got around it by mulching around the base of their footpath trees
and then putting in a low barrier around the edge of the mulch (like
some rocks - no bigger than 30cm tall) that deters people from walking
across the mulch.

If you have folks walking under the tree then you have zero chance of
establishing a nice piece of lawn there - it is surprising how little
foot traffic it takes to make a path in lawn.

Tish
---
signature file off-line for the moment