Old 17-11-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Winter has arrived

On 17/11/07 23:12, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 17/11/07 21:33, in article
, "Pete C"
wrote:

David in Normandy wrote:
The mice must be finding it cold too - I keep gardening shoes and
leather gloves in a lean-to. One of the shoes was stuffed full of
leaves as was one of the gloves. While I can appreciate these may be
des-res apartments for mice in Winter why do they feel it necessary
to crap inside them too? :-(
I always roll my gardening gloves. Not because of mice, but spiders. All
gone now, but earlier autumn, there was hundreds of 'em in my garden, shed,
and house. Hate the bu**ers!

Me too. Ray always shakes out my wellies and gardening coat for me before I
put them on!

How can you possibly get through a day in September and October without
having to push through hundreds of webs at face level? they seem to love
the greenhouses and tunnels :~)

I have a cunning plan. I go out after everyone else. I don't get paid so I
suit myself! ;-)) I can cope with the webs, it's the inhabitants I don't
want to meet. Even then, garden spiders don't bother me in the same way as
those gigantic house things. Ray threw one of his pillows out of bed the
other night, as is his habit before sleeping, and as I walked past it I saw
Son of Dracula clinging to the lace edge. How Ray didn't see that I cannot
imagine as I am now on 'full spider alert'. That beastie went into orbit
out of the bedroom window pdq, I can tell you! One of our nursery staff
will do absolutely any job thrown at her but she begs not to work in the
Fuchsia house because she swears that spiders have an affinity with Fuchsias
and spend more time there than anywhere else. Of course, this might be why
a lot of blackbirds nest in there, too. ;-)
In the house we mostly get those tiny pin-bodied, thready leg things but
when we were re-wiring part of it once, the electrician (who hated spiders)
emerged from under the floorboards and said "they're breeding with lobsters
down there"!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk