Old 18-11-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Winter has arrived

On 18/11/07 09:04, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I have a cunning plan. I go out after everyone else. I don't get paid so I
suit myself! ;-)) I can cope with the webs, it's the inhabitants I don't
want to meet. Even then, garden spiders don't bother me in the same way as
those gigantic house things. Ray threw one of his pillows out of bed the
other night, as is his habit before sleeping, and as I walked past it I saw
Son of Dracula clinging to the lace edge. How Ray didn't see that I cannot
imagine as I am now on 'full spider alert'. That beastie went into orbit
out of the bedroom window pdq, I can tell you! One of our nursery staff
will do absolutely any job thrown at her but she begs not to work in the
Fuchsia house because she swears that spiders have an affinity with Fuchsias
and spend more time there than anywhere else. Of course, this might be why
a lot of blackbirds nest in there, too. ;-)
In the house we mostly get those tiny pin-bodied, thready leg things but
when we were re-wiring part of it once, the electrician (who hated spiders)
emerged from under the floorboards and said "they're breeding with lobsters
down there"!

I tried the same cunning plan with Liz but she is shorter than me so I
still get a faceful! I don't mind the spiders its the webs in the face I
find annoying.

Just imagine choosing a wife so that she'd get the webs before you did!

Those big house spiders are to this family always known as "Freds" My
daughter who objected to sharing her bed with them would scream for its
removal so I would go up and evict it from her room, she now claims this
was a waste of time as once I had gone back down stairs she would watch
it come back under the door :~)

I always tell Ray, as he chucks them out the window, that they'll be back
inside before he's back in bed! ;-)
Back in the 60s when all self-respecting disco queens wore false eyelashes,
my mother heard an almighty shout from my bedroom followed by a series of
loud thuds. My stepfather, who had kindly gone in to turn the fire on
before I got home from a party, emerged looking quite shaken (he hated
spiders) and said "Sacha is going to be so relieved I found that spider on
her dressing table before she did". Looking over his shoulder, my mother
said "Well done. You've just killed one of her false eyelashes".
But he *really* got his comeuppance on another evening when I was out late.
He put a plastic spider on my carpet, thinking that when I came in I'd come
upstairs, see the spider and get the boyfriend to come and deal with it.
Unfortunately, I'd packed him off home as soon as he'd dropped me at the
door. It was around 2.30am when I saw the spider from the bedroom door, let
out a yell, went and woke the parents and watched in astonishment as my
aracnophobe, half asleep stepfather scooped up the spider in his bare hand.
Seconds later, he admitted he'd been hoist by his own petard. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk