Old 19-11-2007, 05:04 AM posted to aus.gardens
SyrianPrince SyrianPrince is offline

Default pruned tree

Last winter I very heavily pruned a very old plum tree, to leave 4 or 5
large diameter (6 inches)shortened limbs. Come spring, it's resprouted in
many places. I know I should remove shoots obviously in the wrong place,
inward growing, crossing etc but I would like some help about which shoots I
should remove to train to become new branches. There are heaps around the
cuts I made, but none seem like obvious keepers at this stage... is it just
a matter of removing most? and should these themselves be pruned? if so
when? All shoots are basically aiming strongly and straightly skyward..
love and peace
SyrianPrince