Old 19-11-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Beware who you listen to....

On 18/11/07 17:22, in article , "Robert"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

When Matthew heard this story he told her that firstly vine weevils and
their grubs are not active now so she wouldn't have seen them and secondly
that we spend over £1k per year on nematodes which we use against vine
weevil. If only she'd asked.......

Sacha

We have been using Provado for some years in all our containers which
has been reasonably successful, but as part of our effort to rely a bit
less on chemicals I was thinking of trying Nemasys. Do you apply the
nematodes once or twice a year and what is/are the optimum month(s) to
apply it from your experience?

You apply it in April and September. The soil temp needs to be about 14C
minimum. At around 26C, it becomes inactive. We use it only in September
as - touch wood - we've been using it for a long time and so have no major
problem. In 8 years I've seen one vine weevil!
However, Ray suggests that if you do have vine weevil now, you use the
control in April (when the soil temp. is right) and again in September until
you've got it under control, then you could well get away with one autumn
treatment.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk