Old 19-11-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nigel Cliffe Nigel Cliffe is offline

Default photographing flowers

Sacha wrote:
On 19/11/07 11:46, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

Whatever you get, it is worth its weight in gold to get a tripod. I
have a standard one and a mini, fold-up one which fits into a
handbag. Also if you are doing close-ups, get a friend to stand out
of shot and hold the flower still :-)

We have a Panasonic DMC-LZ5 but that's now about 2 years old. We're
very pleased with it and it has a setting for taking e.g. flower
close ups. There are probably newer models. But I agree about the
tripod. My hands are shaky at the best of times (family trait) and
my son has begged me to get a tripod. ;-)
Sally, can you tell us where you got your fold up one? That sounds
extremely useful.

You'll find mini tripods in any camera shop (be it Jessops or the local high
street) for less than £20.

Some come with bendy legs; have their uses, but can be annoying. Others
fold/compress.

Its a matter of trading off the compact size with what you hope to achieve
with it. Also, don't be afraid to use other things to support the camera -
a soft bag (called a bean bag by photographers) plus a handy
stone/chair/fence can work wonders. Some of the compact tripod designs
come with velcro straps which can be used to tie the tripod to something
else.

If using a tripod/support of any sort, if possible fire the shutter using
the timer-release function of your camera. Having pressed the button, let go
of the camera and allow it to take the picture.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at