Old 19-11-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default photographing flowers

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:52:43 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 19/11/07 11:46, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:27:40 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote
(in article ):

Some of you post amazing close ups of flowers and panoramic views of
gardens. What camera do you sure?
I listened to an experienced photographer some 2 years ago and got a
Fuji finepix 602 but it is incredibly complicated for what I want to do
, what with macro switches, manual controls, close up and fast and slow
speed settings etc. It is also heavy and quite bulky though I have no
doubt to an experienced photographer it is the Bees Knees.

Would like to get a new camera (flog the old one - we're not a 2 camera
household!) something I can use on flowers plus getting panoramic views
of gardens and our club shows etc to put in the newsletter. (As Editor
and printer I have to resort to drastic measure sometimes to get content
for the pages!)

Brother suggest a Panasonic dmc tz3 and the original friend who is also
photographer says to consider a canon umix 750

Any recommendations?

Janet

Whatever you get, it is worth its weight in gold to get a tripod. I have a
standard one and a mini, fold-up one which fits into a handbag. Also if you
are doing close-ups, get a friend to stand out of shot and hold the flower
still :-)

We have a Panasonic DMC-LZ5 but that's now about 2 years old. We're very
pleased with it and it has a setting for taking e.g. flower close ups.
There are probably newer models. But I agree about the tripod. My hands
are shaky at the best of times (family trait) and my son has begged me to
get a tripod. ;-)
Sally, can you tell us where you got your fold up one? That sounds
extremely useful.

Tony bought it for me as a present some years ago, and thinks it came from a
local camera shop, Capital Cameras (we were then in Sussex); they don't seem
to have a web site that I can find easily. There is absolutely no maker's
name on it, but it looks a bit like the Manfrotto MN709B Digi Tabletop Black
Tripod shown on the Park Cameras web site:
http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/880

It's available in quite a few other places as well, for instance:
http://www.camera-
shop.co.uk/acatalog/Manfrotto_Digi_Tripods_with_Integral_Head.html (watch
the line wrap) so you could always shop around - or ask in a good camera
shop.

Mine measures just over 7 inches in length collapsed, and the retractable
legs pull out more-or-less sideways so that it's only about 7 and a half
inches extended. It's absolutely brilliant to give you that extra bit of
stability, and very lightweight (like you, I have a back problem, so don't
like toting around lots of heavy clutter).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation