Old 19-11-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
JayDee JayDee is offline

Default Planting Ivy on a second floor balcony!

On Nov 19, 11:33 am, Sheldon wrote:
JayDee wrote:
I was trying to come up with a way to cover the ugly stucco balcony
I've got and it occurred to me that covering it with ivy would be
amazing. However I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination

Ivy is not a good friend of masonary, especially stucco... within a
very few years, by the time it's established, the ivy will cause the
stucco to crumble and fall off your building. Ivy is also a terrific
bug magnet, it you enjoy skeeters eating you alive on yur balcony go
for it. Um, have you considered a fresh coat of paint... and perhaps
a few hanging baskets of annuals

well there's no ceiling on the balcony, so hanging plants wouldn't
really work too well. I'm just looking for a way to cover the
stucco... I think it's ugly. I thought of putting fencing around the
inside of it also, but that's kind of pricy...

I guess any and all ideas are appreciated...Thanks!!

- JD