Old 19-11-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Default Compost Tea Question

Thanks for the replies.

The original pump I used came with a 5-gallon aquarium tank. I used a
5-gallon bucket to brew my tea so I thought I was in good shape.

Here's the process I used: I filled a 5-gallon bucket with water. I
took the aquarium pump and attached gang-valves to four separate
bubbling stones. I turned on the pump and let it run for a day to
eliminate any chlorine in the water. Then I put some nice, sweet-
smelling finished compost in a cheese cloth and set it on top of the
bubblers. So the beneficial bacteria could have a little chow, I added
a few teaspoons of molasses and stirred twice a day. It began to
foam, but man did it stink! So, where did I go wrong? My only guess
is that the pump was too wimpy to aerate the brew. Or perhaps that I
put the compost in cheese cloth instead of just dumping it in the
bucket? I hate wasting perfectly good compost, so any advice before I
try again would be appreciated.

Oh, and can I dump this awful concoction back on the compost pile?