Old 19-11-2007, 10:23 PM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] normkelk@gmail.com is offline

Default Compost Colling Down

On Nov 19, 5:26 pm, "Petesin" wh@tthe**** wrote:
Last Sunday I started my first attempt at composting. I read heaps about it
before I started and thought I would have a crack. I used mostly lawn
clippings and some leaves that I had mown up and put in a pile about 12
months ago (very dry). I layered the grass, leaves and some soil from my
vege garden until I had what I estimated to be over a cubic metre. I have
the heap setup in the 120cm sapce between my garden shed and the colourbond
fence behind it with a barrier in the middle about 1.5m high. After the
layering I forked it all over the otherside of the barrier to mix it all up.
That afternoon I stuck my hand in the heap and had to pull it quick. It was
really hot. On Monday I forked it all back over the other side. I was
wearing thongs and the compost falling on my feet was quite hot and very
uncomfortable. I threw it back over the other side again Wednesday, Friday
and again yesterday (Sunday). It was yesterday when I realised it was
noticably cooler but still warm. Today it still has a good warmth when I
stick my hand in but is not really "hot" like it was a week ago. I though
it would be at least another week before it cooled down significantly. Is
this normal? It is looking very good and most of it has composted quite
well but as this is my first time I'm not really sure how decomposed the
final product should be.

Any thought?

I agree with Petesin, that you are turning it too often. I recently
heard a lecture by Prince Charles' head gardner (David Howard). He
turns his compost heaps (he has eleven huge ones that are turned by a
tractor) only weekly, and appears to get good results. I am
incredibly lazy, and turn mine less than once a month and still get
quite good results. Save your energy for other things, like watching
your plants grow. Joshua.