Old 20-11-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
HettieŽ HettieŽ is offline

Default Plant ID Plz - 2 Kinds

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Well with a little work I'm sure I can get rocks to trail. In fact if
I'm bored one day I just might do that to see how it looks..

Know the overloaded feeling.. Since we moved and have so much more space
now, all kinds of things are popping into my head that I'd like to try.

Yes, it isn't so much fun when you are tired and have other heavy chores
to get done before the snow flies. For me, even smaller jobs are a heck
of a lot of work. Grass coming up through chicken wire isn't such a big
deal, but after all I went through planting over 200 bulbs, trying to do
it right, reading up on how to keep tulips going, my heart just sank.

One section of roof on the house over an addition is flat, so I'm even
thinking of bordering it with planter boxes all around the edge.. Who
knows.. Maybe later. Sometime..

I love window boxes, wanted them all around the house, and it would
look nice, but they require too much watering. Diapers, crystals,
enough is enough for now. I wonder what else you could do with that
roof. Something in deeper planters with rocks on top would not have to
be watered as often.

Maybe I'll give the iresine that's left another chance, got fed up with
one pot and just let it cook. As soon as the geraniums are finished
blooming in the house, I'll cut them way back and move it all out of the
sun.

Funny, I finally rooted one piece in dirt, stuck a piece in a window box
under a porch overhang mind you (shade then hot afternoon sun), it
rooted all right, then didn't do a thing the rest of the summer. Just
sticks up like it's had enough of me :-).

I'll see what that sedum is about. Lucky you, all that new area to
dream big dreams. I have a small yard and have developed a passion for
rooting rose cuttings, gaining on that, and now there will be few places
to put them so I'll have to give them away, same with the 24 redbud
seedlings I've nurtured all summer.

I'm worried about them. Have them in pepsi bottles with 6 good-sized
holes burned in the bottom. Ideally I should sink them in the ground
and yank them in spring but am just too tired to dig that much out,
don't have a cold frame, don't feel up to rigging something up with
straw bales & old storm or plastic. What to do? I don't want to buy
the trencher for my tiller because I don't know if I'd get enough use
from it.

I suppose plunging them in my huge leaf cages isn't a good idea either,
an unheated garage, not the best and I think I have to water once a
month, everywhere in the house too warm unless you think a storage area
in the basement with a crack in the east window with a high shelf might
work. I'd hate to lose them after all the effort I put into getting
them this far.

Skipped over your other but not that it wasn't interesting. I will look
into the sedum, I love easy-to-root stuff, but it will have to wait. I
snipped 6 shoots of coleus from a neighbor who wasn't going to get
around to doing anything with his, there it just sits in water, 3 weeks
now about, change it often, wilted on top, no roots, even had an
aquarium bubbler going, finally took that out, didn't want to squander
the little rooting hormone I had left, people say it is easy to root
without it, will buy fresh next spring.