Old 20-11-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Tree encyclopedia

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:51:31 -0600, "J. Davidson"
wrote:

Has anyone seen a really good, comprehensive tree encyclopedia they could
recommend?
Thanks,
Jackie

I don't think you will find just one book that covers
everything. I have a lot of them (books), each one has its
strengths and weaknesses. For just one book that has good
info for identifying trees in North America you could try
this one:

North American Trees by Richard J. Preston, Jr.

My copy is an older "Fourth Edition" this is the current
updated copy:

http://www.amazon.com/North-American...dp/0813815266/

A Field Guide to Eastern Trees (Peterson Field Guides) by
George A. Petrides, Janet Wehr, and Roger Tory Peterson

This is a good, brief, general guide for ID'ing.

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Ea...dp/0395904552/

Trees of Michigan and the Upper Great Lakes by Norman Foster
Smith

This guide has lots of nice pictures. Not as complete as the
others, but more in-depth.

http://www.amazon.com/Trees-Michigan...dp/1882376080/

Michigan Trees, Revised and Updated: A Guide to the Trees of
the Great Lakes Region by Burton V. Barnes and Warren H.
Wagner

This title is sometimes used as a college text (or so I've
been told).

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Trees...dp/0472089218/

If you are looking for something in particular, it would be
best to describe that in more detail.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b