Old 20-11-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Bee Boles

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 5:15 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's
collection of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area
primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

Mary, do you know the origin of the word bole? Is it a bee hole,
distorted over centuries, or something?
Thank you for bringing to my attention something I was not even aware
of.

Cat(h)

Cath, I didn't know, your idea sounds plausible.

I looked in The Archaeology of Beekeeping, by Dr Crane (founder of IBRA, who
died last month) and found this little para. If Eva Crane used that
definition I reckon it's unlikely that it will be wrong - but nobody's
perfect. I can ask her colleague if she knows.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ejier7&s=1

It is rather an arcane subject :-)

Mary