Old 20-11-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pennyaline Pennyaline is offline

Default Indoor gardening under fluorescent lighting

Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:05:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.

Your question about mirrors still doesn't make sense. Glass doesn't
absorb light. If it did, windows would block the sun and we would get no
reflected image from mirrors.

Fluorescent light works very well with plants indoors. Use reflectors.
Light colors on the walls and ceiling can help to reflect light back
into the room. Mirrors will reflect light harshly, and your plants will
admire themselves in them constantly which can be quite annoying.