Old 20-11-2007, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug doug is offline

Default A possible good way of digging?

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
A possible good way of digging?

(As long as the soil is light enough.)

Push spade fully into earth.
Push it forward, letting topsoil fall into the space created behind the
spade.
Repeat.

This assumes the ground is not weedy.
It keeps the micro-organisms at the appropriate levels.
It deepens the fertility of the soil.

Silly or sensible?
--
Chris

---------------------------
Every time I changed my Address, - (i.e., - went to live somewhere else),-
I "Double-Dug " the garden.
I always had got plenty of rotted animal compost, sand and fertiliser powder
ready to hand before starting.
With a good chromeplated spade of normal size, --(neither too large or too
small.
Right! - to Work!....
At one end of the garden dig a trench two-spades width and two - spades
deep. As you work, barrow the soil to the other end of the garden and
empty the it at the OTHER END of the garden .. BUT!, not at the full length.
Dunp it parallel to the end, but two spades width further in from the end..
Right!, - Orft we jolly-well!. Continue that pattern until you have dug
from the far end and now reached the end where you started. What do you
find? - there is a two-spade width and depth channel with no soil in it!.
Bingo!. - Sitting where you first started is the pile of soil which came
from the far end of the garden, - just waiting to fill the that empty
trench!, Voila! - t'job's a good'n!,
Don'tfoget to spread the fertiliser in each trench - as you go.
Don't swank to impress 'Her Indoors' by trying to do the job in one go. Do
it Nice'n Easy, just do it a bit at a time.
Otherwise she'll be bringing upstairs a cup of Ovaltine and aspirins and a
bottle of linament for your back.
Don;t laugh!, - I have done quite a few garden-digging jobs in my time.!
Douglas Adam Denny.