Old 21-11-2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] fleemo17@comcast.net is offline

Default Compost Tea Question

This is a good time to practice as, at least in the northern hemisphere, where the ground is cooling down and you can't expect too much growth from your plants anyway.

Billy, that raises another question -- we're just now getting down to
the upper 30's at night. Will cold temperatures affect the brewing?

Wow, Tad, thanks for the in-depth response! You're obviously a well-
versed tea brewer.

This means that when I turn on the aeration, the water level is raised up over 2 inches higher from the bubbles.

Oh man, my current setup, which includes *two* aquarium pumps, barely
gets the surface of the water moving. So what you're saying is that
the water should be roiling like crazy, not just bubbling a bit?

You may want to consider adding another compost, but all you need is maybe 2 cups total or 1 lbs. worth.

Really, that little? One website I found said to fill a 5-gallon
bucket half full with compost! I probably used about five or six cups
in my first batch.

Do you have any humic acid or liquid kelp?

I'm afraid not. I always look for liquid kelp but all I can ever find
is fish emulsion around here. Would that be of any benefit?

Air stones can be problematic.

Great advice to clean the air stones. I would have never thought of
that.

Wow, two weeks brewing????

Yeah Jeff, I'm nothing if not tenacious, not to mention a little
nuts. :P

Thanks so much for the info here folks. I've got a few days off for
the Thanksgiving holiday and will try my hand at another batch of
compost tea.

Best regards!