Old 21-11-2007, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Will[_3_] Will[_3_] is offline

Default Creating a Footpath on the Cheap

But then again, is it really worth it for a rental? That's up to you all
so I'll leave that as an opinion.

The entire situation sucks. We were the only building tenant and so had
exclusive access to the limited front parking area. The landlord found
a tenant for other side of building, and they are now filling up the
front area, requiring us to park in back of building, and find our way
through mud and dirt to the front. The next door neighbors are selfish
in their thinking about this problem, taking a "first come first serve"
attitude even though their side of building has parking lot surrounding
it on all sides and ours only has the limited front and back parking.
The building management is simply lazy and doesn't care. So we got
screwed for not anticipating this in our lease, and now we just have lots
of bad choices.

I'm willing to spend the money as an act of good faith to our employees,
simply so they don't have to suffer through a ridiculous condition.

So this is a business location? That might explain the first notion that
pops into my head, which is moving..

The cost of moving would be huge, far far in excess of the cost of fixing
the problems with access on the side of building. But the landlord didn't
do himself any favors for when it comes time to move for other reasons.

Also, you mention parking.. There would be no parking/driving over the
drainage system area would there? If so you'd need to build it up further
to prevent the collapse of the pipe.

This is clear. I meant employees are parking in rear of building and
walking to front of building through the area we are trying to build a
walking path in.

Now, as for material I prefer the PVC pipe because it's smooth on the
inside and I feel it drains much better but there is also the black flex
tubing which is made for drainage that you could use. Since it seems to be
just minimal foot traffic you could use it, just offset the flagstone so
that the pipe is to the side of the path.

The bright side of the flex tubing is that you have some leeway as to how
straight your trench is.. Digging a straight trench is a bit of a pain..
It's also cheaper... I'd quote Lowes.com but I can't find it.. They do
sell it however.

Thanks.

Gravel wise, call someone to dump a load as you'd never want to buy bags
for something this large.. Just give them the depth/width/length of the
trench and they will give you an estimate on how many ton of chip gravel
you'll need.

At this point we have spreadsheets that calculate cubic yards, tons of
different types of materials, and I'm starting to have nightmares about rock
deliveries. So this part of the whole thing I have covered. It's
more the basic engineering design that I want to make sure gets done to a
minimum level.

Oh.. Plan to incorporate a few cleanout caps so that if there are problems
with clogs, a plumber can blow the system out with a pressure auger.

Can you elaborate on that? A cleanout cap is just a t shape pipe section
that is capped on top, to allow access into the pipe from the top? A get
the gist of it anyway and it sounds like great advice.

--
Will