Old 21-11-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default a source for mylar, kind of expensive but if it works better. . .

HettieŽ wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:05:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.

I was doing a little googling re Scott's hydroponics comment and came up
with this:

http://www.tcs-hydroponics.com/doc/misc.htm#mylar

Darnit.. You made me search eBay... I spend enough $ on eBay.. Argh..

Did a search for "Hydroponics Mylar" and pulled up quite a few for
cheaper.. 25' for $27 shipped vs. $41.09 shipped at the other place..

Always check feedback..