Old 21-11-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Scott Hildenbrand Scott Hildenbrand is offline

Default Hydroponics vs. Soil

HettieŽ wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Ok, so I'd always wanted to play around with small scale hydroponics
and see if it's any fun..

So I was looking around and found this system.

http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/11plan01.htm

It's not like the misting systems that I'd seen and is a submersion
system instead.. Anyway, my question is... Is there really any
advantage in growing plants like this vs. in the ground.

Here are some other simplicity plans for a hydro system.

http://edurink10.tripod.com/hydroide...t/systems.html

Inquiring minds want to know.. Thoughts?

Thanks, I bookmarked that as it looks like a fairly simple diy project
if you can find all those components.

I haven't gotten bitten by that bug yet. I would like to try this but
don't want to spend the money on it right now. I could rig up something
myself but you need special cups where roots won't tear when you take
them out. I had seen a better link for a more expensive one but can't
find it now.

Something like this only one that holds more cuttings, also more expensive.

http://www.hhydro.com/cgi-bin/hhydro/HH00557.html

Scott--

I'll stick with something a little more DIY..

Oh well.. Just planning out loud I guess.. Maybe next year, or the year
after... Hmmm.. I've got all this spare PVC though.