Old 21-11-2007, 11:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default overwintering coleus cuttings

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:17:35 -0600, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I have taken 8 coleus cuttings to overwinter. Three of these I put
into moist vermiculite. The other 5 in water. All are in an east
window, cool temperatures. After 3 weeks all of these are starting to
bloom, but none have bloomed outdoors. I pinched off the blooms, but
they keep trying to bloom. I want them to grow, not bloom. Only gave
them aged tap water. What is triggering bloom and how can I prevent
blooming? Would I have better results growing the cuttings under
florescent lighting?

I was told long ago it's the short days of fall that makes them bloom.
Perhaps you can rig something up to lengthen their day?

Yes I think that makes a lot of sense. The same thing happened last
year except this year they quickly rooted, probably due to higher
temperatures against the window. I have heard that some plants will
bloom when put under stress.