Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default Down the side of your house...

Dear Chookie, I'd think about putting in some Clivea miniata as they are
shade lovers and have either beautiful yellow or orange flowers, plus I'd
think about Archocontophoenix alexandrae (Alexander Palm) or
Archocontophoenix cunninghamiana (Bangalow Palm). Plant the Cliveas around
the base of them.

You could also put in Asplenium australasicum (Birds Nest Fern) This would
keep your tropical theme happening.

Begonia x semperflorens-cultorum (Bedding Begonia) best flowering in dappled
shade or morning sun will tolerate more shade but with slower growth and
less flowers. Varieties available Camellia double pink flowers with dark
mahogany foliage, Twinkle double pink foliage with bronze green foliage,
plus many more reds, white, and pinks mainly.

Camellia reticulata tolerates filtered shade positions well. Hope this is a
few ideas. Heather.

"Chookie" wrote in message
What do you do with that 1.5-metre-wide dead spot down the side of your

house?
Mine runs N-S (ie, gets little direct sunlight). The gap is fenced near

the
front of the house, so it's a dead end. The two windows in that wall need
shading. I have thought of putting in a fern garden with a seat at the

end,
perhaps with some trees.

If you have a garden down the side of your house, what did you do and why?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids