Old 22-11-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default 15 inch deep enough for winte in Michigan?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:31:51 CST, wrote:

I live in Michigan and have small pond about 5 x 6 maybe 300 gal .......and
is about 15 to 16 inch deep...I have 6 goldfish about 5 to 6 inch's and I am
concerned that pond may not be deep enough for them to survive......I do not
have place for them inside.......I am looking for a low cost option.....any
advise would be appreciated...

I spent a winter in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan and if you are in the UP
I'd suggest that goldfish are cheaper than stock heaters. I might try
an air pump (To keep a hole open in the ice.) if I was really attached
to my pets, but a stock heater is expensive to operate. I've read
where others have success with 100 watt heaters, but I escaped to the
South a few years ago and never had the experience.

You may find a cheaper one, but here is one:
http://www.kyhorse.com/store/equipment/de-icers.htm
You might notice the 1500 watt rating.

The air pump has to be protected against the elements a bit to keep it
from freezing up. Placing it under a bucket and protecting the air
hose from condensate (Air hose should travel downhill, no up and down
spots to catch moisture.) should work.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb