Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
John Savage

Default rabbits

"Neill Smith" wrote:
I live in a country area in North East Victoria and want to start a veggie
garden but we have problems with rabbits. Aside from rabbit proof fences,
which do not appear to work anyway, does anyone have a method to keep them
away from the veggie garden.

Shooting is not an option.

What about poisoning?

Would it be feasible to surround your garden with an ordinary fence which
has some gaps left in it, with traps set at the gaps? Not necessarily the
cruel steel-jaws trap. I'd imagine that Thumper would choose the path of
least effort, in preference to jumping the fence? Then again, maybe
rabbits show more nous than I give them credit. :-)

Perhaps a fence made of close-spaced strands of wire, with every second
strand electrically insulated and connected to an electric fence tickler
and all the other strands connected together and earthed. Then, whatever
pair of wires the rabbit tried to squeeze between, it's body would still
complete a circuit to earth.
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")