Old 23-11-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Happy Thanksgiving

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

Less stuff for the landfill too. I have no idea why they never asked me
again after the first 3 truckloads a few years ago. Probably did not
want to Impose on me. My fault I did not follow up on that or I could
have been doing it all this time. There were other "issues" at the time
with a new boss and rotating shifts.

I'm curious. Why are the linens thrown away? Where are they from that they
can't be washed and reused?

They are beginning to wear out or have minor faults, or are not
"facility" linens (they come in with patients from nursing homes or EMS
units), small stains, etc.

I think that they also have expiration dates believe it or not. g

I have 2 of the most lovely kitchen timers that came from the lab
because their calibration dates expired and they were cheaper to replace
than to have officially calibrated.

The laundry tech I spoke with today said that they have a LOT of EMS
blankets that then need to dump, and winter cometh! I KNOW I can give
those away!

Most linen discards do actually find new "homes". It's just a matter of
someone wanting to take the time and trouble. I distributed those three
pickup truck loads to veterinarians, wildlife rescue, the local animal
shelter, and (since we did re-sort them), the local youth and women's
shelter. Some are in better shape than others.

They never gave them to me "dirty", they were always washed/cleaned too!

Lots of waste in industry in general and Health Care is no exception.
Some of those linens are even going to Mexico and Honduras...
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein