Old 23-11-2007, 04:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default 15 inch deep enough for winte in Michigan?

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
That may not be enough for Michigan. They have some really cold winter
weather there. It would be safer to bring them in.

========
No colder than I used to deal with in Ontario. And we had regulars in
Ottawa and Sudbury who managed to keep them in no deeper ponds than that,
without heaters.

When they die here in the winter in shallow ponds, and a bubbler us used,
they claim it was hyper chilling. Disturbing the water layers until the
bottom layer was too cold for the fish to survive.

Hal's advice on bubblers is exactly what I would have given.

If there's no heater wouldn't the bottom warm layer mix with the colder
upper layer and "chill" the bottom to the same temperature as the top (near
freezing) layer?

--
derek

--