Old 23-11-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default what can go under trees? - beginners question

On Nov 23, 6:38 am, RipSlider ripJUNKslider{at}gJUNKmail-dot-coJUNKm
- delete junk wrote:
Hello all.

This is the first of a few questions that I'll be posting today.
I'm only just getting into the swing of gardening, so this may be
obvious, but I'm struggling to find any information on the subject.

I have a fairly exposed garden. The rear garden is north facing and
looks over 1,000+ acres of fields, and so is VERY windy as well as not
very bright. The front garden is sound facing and a little less
exposed.

In each garden I have 2 or 3 very large trees. 1x large holly, 1x large
Yew and 3x large pines. The ground under each of these tree's is bare,
and I would like to add some planting to it.

That ground is bare for a reason. Plants find it hard to grow under
big trees, especially close to the trunk. It is very dry there; the
combination of lack of moisture and shade means very few things are
able to cope. Some plants can grow under trees naturally and these
tend to come out in Spring while there is still some light (e.g.
anemnones and celandines). With some effort you may be able to grow
some things like that and have a nice show in early spring; but only
under deciduous trees. Yews are fabulous trees but cast dense shade.
Pines and hollies are both evergreen although they can have fairly
open canopies, depending where they are.

Exposure is a different problem. Plants hate being blasted by
hurricanes and shelter always helps to improve the range of things you
can grow (shelter from fences and hedges).

Des

I'm just wondering what sort of plants you could suggest that will cope
with plenty of wind and be happy growing around or under tree's? I have
been able to find nothing that seems to fit the bill.

The front garden is fairly well drained, sandy loam. The rear garden is
heavier, loamy, but with a good deal of clay in it.

Any advice on what I can do to the soil to improve chances of growth,
and also plant idea's would be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

--
RipSlider