Old 23-11-2007, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³ ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°³ is offline

Default horseradish

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:17:57 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

I planted some horseradish this year. The instructions said (IIRC) to
cut the roots into two inch chunks and plant these in a bucket (to
prevent it spreading like a weed). Then to dig it up this time of
year; use whatever you need for cooking and cur the rest into two inch
lengths ready to plant and start all over again.

Is this about right? What should I do with the ones to plant next
year? Put them in a cool, dark, dry place? When do I plant them next
year?

I've never grown it; don't like the stuff.
You are right that it will spread like a weed if allowed; see it along
hedgerows and grass verges.
I think that if you want to replant you should do it straight away, as
it is a hardy plant.
One thing I do know, after a question on Gardeners' Question Time some
while ago, is that you shoud make and eat your sauce when you want it,
and not try to keep it.

When I tried it, I washed the roots thoroughly and grated them up into
plastic bags and deep-froze.. When I needed some I took out a
portion. let it thaw and treated it as fresh. Seemed to work well
and was plenty powerful as well.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³