Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Chookie

Default My mini-orchard

In article ,
"Lynda Hull" wrote:

1. Should I plant all one type of tree or do I need to companion plant or
do I just do it higgily-piggily?
2. Should I plant along the incline or straight up and down?
3. I'm leaning towards planting mango's and macadamia nut trees (about the
only things that we all eat), but how many trees would be too many?
4. Can you successfully grow peach and plum trees in my climate?
5. Should I go in neat little rows, or just plant them all over the place?

I think it's important to get it right first time, so please forgive my
stupid questions.

You have asked at a good time of year. It's too hot to plant anything, so you
have lots of time to spend doing research. I suggest you get some books on
permaculture from your library, and a few regular gardening books. Also, go
out and see what the locals have planted in their gardens. If you can't see
peach and plum trees, you probably can't grow them. You also need to consider
if you want to spray for fruit-fly. If you don't want to spray, that will
limit your planting. Check with your council and Dept of Ag in case there are
limitations on what you can grow, too.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

I don't regard myself as a fanatic. I just have handy milk dispensers.
-- Lee, misc.kids