Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Heather Edwards

Default My mini-orchard

Dear Lynda,

I would probably plant in straight lines and group like varieties together.
That way you can tell what you have planted.

As for planting on inclines you will have to consider run-off so if you do
consider terracing so that the water will have a chance to soak in.

How many trees are too many? How many can you successfully prune, spray,
weed around and water?

Consult your local nursery as to what will grow well in your area. Best of
luck, Heather.
"Lynda Hull" wrote in message
u...
Firstly, I'm a newbie, so my apologies to all!

I have just purchased a 3/4 acre property in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland
(Qld). About half of this property (say 3/8ths of an acre) is just lawn
which I would like to turn into a mini-orchard. The only problem is that

can't work out how to plant this mini-orchard.

You see the part that I want to plant is a triangle shape. It is also on

very slight incline.

Here are some of my questions?

1. Should I plant all one type of tree or do I need to companion plant or
do I just do it higgily-piggily?
2. Should I plant along the incline or straight up and down?
3. I'm leaning towards planting mango's and macadamia nut trees (about

the
only things that we all eat), but how many trees would be too many?
4. Can you successfully grow peach and plum trees in my climate?
5. Should I go in neat little rows, or just plant them all over the

place?

I think it's important to get it right first time, so please forgive my
stupid questions.

Regards,
Lynda