Old 25-11-2007, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_2_] SteveB[_2_] is offline

Default Sandy soils

We've just returned after being gone for six days. Apparently the wind
blew
while we were gone. There are new sand dunes in the back yard. The door
threshold was half an inch thick with driven sand. It musta blown like a
big dog.

I live in Southern Utah, near St. George. We are surrounded by sandstone
and dunes. Beautiful stuff, just sandy.

We want to cultivate a garden this spring, and to plant trees and plants.
What do we need to do special to help our new plants in this sandy
environment? I want to make a shadecloth barrier for the garden to lessen
the direct sun, and perhaps to help break some of the sand from settling
in
on hard won cultivated soil.

Tips appreciated.

Steve