Old 24-11-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Help - Squirrels ate my garden

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:20:32 +0000, K wrote:

But I can't find anything which legally classes grey squirrel as vermin.

I asked if there was a legal definition of Vermin, it appears that there
isn't in UK law. However this bit of Hansard from 2003 indicates that it
is accepted the grey squirrels are "vermin".

begin
8 Oct 2003 : Column WA60
Vermin

Lord Selsdon asked Her Majesty's Government:

Which mammals and other animals are classified as "vermin".[HL4559]

Lord Whitty: There is no definition of the term "vermin" in UK law. In
such a situation the Oxford Dictionary definition should be applied.

The Oxford Dictionary defines "vermin" as "Animals of a noxious or
objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky
animals, and various wild beasts; now, excluding in US and Australia,
almost entirely restricted to those animals or birds which prey upon
preserved game . . ."

The Small Ground Vermin Traps Order 1958 and the various Spring Traps
Approval Orders, refer to "small ground vermin". Neither the orders nor
the Pests Act 1954, under which they are made, define this term or provide
an exclusive list of species. However, the following animals are listed
under various orders: moles, grey squirrels, rabbits, mink, stoats,
weasels, rabbits, rats, and mice.

Traps approved under the Spring Traps Approval Order 1995 do not apply to
small ground vermin listed in Schedules 5 and 6 to the Wildlife and
Countryside Act 1981. This means that red squirrels, dormice, water voles,
shrews, hedgehogs, polecats and a number of other species are excluded.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...o031008/text/3
1008w02.htm

I guess stoats and weasels are in the "vermin" list because they take game
birds/chicks/eggs.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail