Old 25-11-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

Default OT Turkey was angraecum leonis

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:26:15 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

That had been our experience, too, SuE. We went totally yuppie for a few
decades, seeking the free range turkey, paying thru the nose, being
unimpressed. Then the 'brining' rage started and the cheap-o birds were
very good when brined. Then this year we hit our heads "D'oh!" realizing
*why* Butterball injected saline solution into their birds. Industrial
Strength Brine! So this year we cooked a Butterball and it was fine.
However I must say I prefered the Safeway's own brand that we brined
ourselves last year.

Some years ago a man collected all the turkey fat and disgusting parts that
Butterball threw away, rendered it into grease/oil, and made deisel fuel out
of it. It was the fisrt time I'd ever heard the term 'bio diesel' (Bio
Diestle?) That idea fell with a thud. Now 6-7 years later everyone is
looking at rendering oil out of cooking grease/oil/etc. Everyting old is
new again.

The San Francisco Auto show is this weekend and the Hybrids/Electric cars
are creating quite a splash. I've long been interested in fuel cells. I
know the technology probably won't fly where autos are concerned, however
I'd truly like to get something along those lines to take my GH off grid.
Somehow getting solar cells and inverters to charge batteries to power fans
over night. I doubt I'd ever get enough power to run the swamp cooler,
though.

As Sundance said to Butch, "Keep thinking, that's what you're good at."

K Barrett
(amazingly I got back on topic after all......)

They are collecting the Deep fry oil here to make Bio-fuel. One fellow
I have seen on Discovery just filters it enough to burn the cooking
oils. So what if he smells like McD's frys driving down the road.

Ian Rich is "off grid" with his gh I believe. He has fuel cells and
solar power. Of course he needs them. They live in a section of CO
with unreliable power and fierce storms.
SuE