Old 25-11-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default horseradish

In article ,
Fred says...
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:28:35 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

why wouldyou want a fresh, homegrown, homemade condiment to taste like
the appropriately-named "stuff" in jars?!

Sorry I explained badly. I have never made a home-made version before
so the shop bought variety is the only bench mark I have to aim for.
Mine simply did not have the bite and heat that it ought. I don't know
whether I grated it finely enough; would that make a difference?

I guess the finer it is grated (or blended) the more
pungency is released. I blended mine with cream in a
liquidiser and as I previously mentioned it absolutely blew
my head off.

I read somewhere that the commercial stuff has to be
pasteurised. Unfortunately this destroys or drives off a
lot of the aromatic flavours.
--
David in Normandy