Old 25-11-2007, 03:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default OT Property taxes

Received in snail mail (USPS) an official looking envelope that is very
similar to that used by the county tax assessor.

The contents is a letter stating my parcel description of the property used
by the county. And, they begin by indicating the record indicates I may be
losing money as I failed to take an exemption for property taxes on the past
two years. They quoted Texas taxation code 11.13.

Curious, I checked it out. Its the standard homestead exemption. For long
term financial reasons, I chose not to take the exemption. Almost anyone
explores the ins/outs of this exemption when doing their property taxes. If
anyone has received such a letter, I strongly urge you to research the
residence homestead exemption before replying to that company with their
paperwork and 45 bucks they want for processing. They assist in doing
paperwork to recover taxes paid in lieu of not taking the residence
homestead exemption regardint the prior tax year.

You can apply for late application for homestead exemption per section
11.431 of the taxing code. See bottom of this link for cross references.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...11b1.htm#11.13

--
Dave