Old 25-11-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default horseradish

On 22 Nov, 21:35, Fred wrote:
In the meantime, how do I make horseradish sauce to go with my Sunday
beef? I have found a few recipes that basically mix it with cream but
they don't taste like the stuff in the jars

I recall, as a youth, having to make pickled horseradish for sale in
the shop. I would have to wash, then scrub, about 30 pounds of root,
and then "shred" it with a knife. I tried mincing, but it did too
much damage. The shreddings were then blanched; chopped finely; and
mixed with sugar, re-cycled pickled onion vinegar, and salt, packed
into boiled jars and capped. The jar needs to be nearly all shredded
horseradish.

It would take about 4 days to do all 30 pounds, as I kept having to
leave the shed because my eyes were streaming. The shirt and Apron I
wore would be unwearable no matter how you washed them. In fact, I
would wash them and hang them in the shed for the following year.

Cream-based sauces won't keep (but don't get the chance in my house).
Pickling allowed the root to last through the winter. You can use it
straight from the pickle jar, or mix it with mayonaise or creme freche
and leave it in the fridge for 2 days to infuse.

Add grated horseradish to coleslaw, to the cheese sauce for
cauliflower cheese or welsh rarebit, to beef or ham stews, to soups or
to parsley sauce for fish.