Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Tom Elliott

Default Swimming pool water

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:40:39 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
During winter, I was using my swimming pool as a storage tank - low

(snip)

Is this what you mean? Now you are cleaning it and you have to add chlorine?
I assume this, as you say you are leaving it in the sun for the chlorine to
evaporate?
Well going back to science, get a bucket of salt water, leave it in the sun,
and watch the salt crystals remain. Collect the water that evaporates and
it's drinkable. So in theory, by leaving a bucket of chlorinated water in
the sun, does something similar happen? If so, then all you are doing is
losing water, and if anything else, then you are actually increasing the
concentration of chlorine, as the less water yet same amount of chlorine.
Perhaps, by not letting it evaporate, but letting it sit, the chlorine will
sink, and you can pour the less chlorinated water off the top?

No doubt the pool water is much stronger chlorinated than tap water. I would
do some experimenting to see what effect it has. Also, in any case, keep it
off the foliage. I can't imagine that it is good for it.

The difference here is that salt and chlorine are different as I
understand it. Chlorine breaks down into other things when exposed to
UV light. A chlorinated swimming pool after a few sunny days has
little or no detectable chlorine, so I think it should be okay.
Perhaps I will spread it around, I don't think it could be much worse
than grey water from a washing machine.

Tom.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.