Old 25-11-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lavenders

In article ,
says...
On 25/11/07 13:09, in article
, "Janet
Tweedy" wrote:

I had a really interesting newsletter from Downderry nurseries over the
weekend. They hold one of the national collections for lavenders and
they gave some interesting facts.
I never knew that people exhibiting at Chelsea and Hampton court could
source their plants from anywhere they liked so the fact that their
plants got top marks for quality meant that someone somewhere was not
getting the Accord due to them!
I assume they refer to the gardens but surely not the nurseries on
display?

I would think so, though quite how they'd prove it if a nursery stand bought
in from elsewhere, I don't know.

They also gave some interesting tips about misnamed lavenders and name
changes for marketing purposes.
Pruning they said (to quote them)

"Top Tip
By now if your lavenders haven't been pruned......don't, with the
exception of the large silver-leaved Dutch Group,*often referred to*by
it's old name*Vera. Flower stems can be removed even now, but leave the
beautiful foliage to brighten-up a winters' day. In the spring when the
saps up just trim off a hands' width of foliage to keep the plants in
shape. This is the only lavender we'd recommend pruning in spring
because it flowers too late for early autumn pruning."

If anyone would like to see the email/letter in full I'll be happy to
forward it on.It does actually make me keen to buy from them again as
they seem to care about their plants.
Perhaps we ought to have a Hill House biyearly newsletter and tips for
growing Sacha?

It's a possible for the new web site, Janet, if I can get Ray to sit down
long enough to dictate it to me *and* tell me what's going on the mail order
page etc! Now that Cormaic doesn't have time to maintain the faq and the
urg ring, I wonder if some computer whiz and gardening expert here could
take it on?? I know nothing about such things but there must be someone who
could do it? I mention it because your lavender report strikes me as
perfect for the faq, wouldn't you say?

No I am afraid nurseries can and do buy in their displays, I can not see
why they dont just sell used cars and have done with it. I won't mention
names but I am sad to say its one of the Gold medal winning Cornish
nurseries that I know do this every year and I can not imagine they are
the only ones :~(
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk