Old 25-11-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default 15 inch deep enough for winte in Michigan?

YES. altho 15" is really the limit.
#1 way to keep water open is covering the pond as close to the surface as possible.
EVEN IF THE ELECTRICITY GOES OUT, this will keep the pond pretty open, at least slow
freezing for several days.
#2 is keeping water moving, best is a small air bubbler AND a little pump, like one
of these http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/win...ondheater.html
the air stone puts in oxygen which is very good for the fish, the pump keeps the
water moving even if the air stone freezes up.
#3 is a heater of some kind. that flat one shown above is a low watt heater. this
one wont melt the side of the pond if it touches. only if you can put a bar across
the pond then hang a 100 watt heater from it so it wont touch the sides or bottom.
aim the pump output at the heater to move heat away

Ingrid

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:53:29 CST, ~ jan wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:09:17 CST, "Henry & Carolyn"
wrote:

You can also cover the pond with a heavy plastic like we do. We make a
rough frame of 2x4's over the pond at drape the plastic over that. We do
all this and live is SW Ontario and the pond has never totally frozen over.

Yes, good point, that will make a BIG difference, just talk with Ingrid who
is able to feed her fish most of the winter by covering and supplying a
little heat.

I wonder if the OP was looking for a cheap up front cost, or power usage?
Pay a little more and lower the power usage, or pay a little up front and
pay over time via more power? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us