Old 05-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Roger Riordan

Default Swimming pool water

"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
During winter, I was using my swimming pool as a storage tank - low
evaporation and enough rainfall to keep it topped up. I wasn't using
any chlorine in it (I'm in Melbourne, it's way too cold to swim in
winter), so the water was fine for the garden.

Now I'm cleaning it in preparation for a long hot summer. When I
rinse the filter out, I'm left with a bucketful of yellow brown water,
which I guess is dust and other junk that has fallen into the pool.

Could there be anything harmful in this? I'm leaving the bucket in
the sun so the chlorine evaporates, so I guess it would be fine for
the garden. If anyone knows of a reason why this might not be true,
I'd be grateful to find out.

Probably mostly algae; in other words liquid compost. I would imagine it would
be quite safe to use the backwash water from a powder chlorinated pool on the
garden, but not from a salt chlorinated pool.

Roger Riordan AM