Old 26-11-2007, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default My blue spruce has killed my lawn asked again.

[Top-posting fixed]

FireBrick said:

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
FireBrick said:

I never thought my fir tree would get this tall and wide...in my
lifetime.

Is it a fir? Or, is it a Picea pungens?

I have a large ring of colored stone under the tree, but it's grown
wider
than the ring.

Did you not expect the tree to grow? =)

So the needles have killed the lawn.

Is it losing an unusual amount of needles, compared to its history?

No way I'm cutting or pruning this tree back. Wife would prune
me...painfully.

As well, she should. =)

So....is there a variety of grass that will survive even if the needles
fall.

Why not just mulch the tree out to the dripline? That's really best for
the
tree, anyway.

I've always sucked the needles up with the mover, but can't get them all.

Are you sure the tree doesn't have some sort of pest?

It's not a big area,

It's bigger than a "large ring of colored stone"!

so I guess resodding isn't a killer.

I thought the tree was the killer? This is all so confusing.

But hate to have to do it each spring.

And, most likely you will.

The lower branches of P. pungens drag the ground. Why would you want to
try
and grow grass there? =) You hacked off the lower branches, didn't you.

unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.

Why is that? It's best for the tree, the soil, and the sod that won't grow
there.

and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.

And, I'll ask again.... "is it a Abies or a Picea"?

The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

Then the "professionals" should be removed from the workforce. They
probably "top" trees, too.

Do you think that if the tree were allowed to grow as it /should/ (branched
to the ground), that the winds would be able to spread the debris from
underneath it? I'll give you a hint: Not nearly as much as it does since
you had the *cough* professionals **** it up. It was /your/ choice to ****
the tree up, now you've got to deal with the consequences. Like Newton
said, "For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.".

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate,

Geez, you're a dense SOB. How the **** would it "not be appropriate"? It's
*most* appropriate. You're wanting to have two different plants compete for
air, water, and nutrients. Which do *you* think would win that battle, a
30' tree (with highly acidic debris), or 3" grass (which doesn't tolerate
highly acidic soils, well)?

is there a variety of real grass that will survive.

No. Now bugger off.

--

Eggs

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.