Old 25-11-2007, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Help - Squirrels ate my garden

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:26:47 +0000, K wrote:

What could be "vermin" in one place and/or situation may not be
"vermin" in another.

Very true. I can understand how much of a nuisance grey squirrels can
be, but living in an urban area with very little in the way of wild
mammals, the very few grey squirrels we have are a welcome addition.

Aye, living in one of the few areas of England that still has Red
Squirrels any grey that puts in an appearance is dicing with its life.
Greys have been spotted recently, there has been local fund raising for
traps and a "hotline" to one of the licenced keepers well publicised.

It's not so much the out competing, I suspect the numbers of greys could
be controlled perfectly well by culling but squirrel pox. Greys carry pox
with little or no symptoms, pox has a very high morbity rate in Reds,
killing in less than a two weeks.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail