Old 26-11-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Sandy soils

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Nov 24, 7:18 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
We've just returned after being gone for six days. Apparently the wind
blew
while we were gone. There are new sand dunes in the back yard. The door
threshold was half an inch thick with driven sand. It musta blown like a
big dog.

I live in Southern Utah, near St. George. We are surrounded by sandstone
and dunes. Beautiful stuff, just sandy.

We want to cultivate a garden this spring, and to plant trees and plants.
What do we need to do special to help our new plants in this sandy
environment? I want to make a shadecloth barrier for the garden to lessen
the direct sun, and perhaps to help break some of the sand from settling
in
on hard won cultivated soil.

Tips appreciated.

Steve

HI Steve
You will want to add organic matter and compost.
Dig it in............
And then you add some more.

Use an organic mulch which will also eventually
become soil. And it will help hold in the moisture,
and help hold the sand in place.

Emilie
NorCal

You may want to but some clay as well to add to you garden beds. Good
garden soil is 30% - 40% sand, 30% - 40% silt, and 20% - 30% clay. Then
you need to add organic materials as Emilie has so wisely indicated.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars