Old 26-11-2007, 10:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default moles

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

If you want to get rid of the mole read this before you do anything...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It's written by DEFRA the government agengy. We had mole problems for years
and I wasted a lot of money on ultrasonic and other devices that simply
don't work. Then I googled for advice and found this report and other web
sites that say the same thing. Basically the only solution is trapping or
poisioning and if I remember correctly there is no currently licenced poison
for moles in the UK.

I've tried two traps...

sissor traps
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/88/b0/c21a_1.JPG
and barrel traps.
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/c4/8d/b209_1.JPG

I've never caught a mole with the sissor traps but the barrel traps have
been remarkably effective and have eliminated the 7 moles from our garden
and padock (sorry mr Mole but you cause too much damage). Both types are
made from wire and metal and may need adjusting/bending to adjust the
sensitivity/shape There is also a knack to setting them and getting them in
the ground without getting your fingers trapped. The main advantage of the
barrel trap is it has a metal plate that stops dirt falling into their
tunnel when you cover it over.

I got five traps from ebay for a few pounds each . I probably wasted £100 on
ultrasonics and batteries that don't work before I gave up on those. The
DEFRA report make clear why they don't work.

Good luck