Old 26-11-2007, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default moles

In article , Si says...
[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

I've tried virtually all the remedies for getting rid of
moles from traps to poison to gassing to petrol down the
holes etc etc. Frankly the best you can hope for is the
particular mole will move on or die. However, if you are
surrounded by fields as we are, then more moles simply take
their place. They are territorial, so a vacant plot soon
gets a new resident.

I've given up trying to get rid of them now. It just means
putting up with the lawns looking unsightly and having to
walk with caution as the ground is so uneven - a twisted
ankle or a fall for the more elderly being a distinct
possibility.

On the plus side, fresh mole hills contain lots of really
fine soil - ideal for mixing with cheap potting compost
from garden centres for potting on garden plants etc.
--
David in Normandy