Old 26-11-2007, 12:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
The Wanderer[_2_] The Wanderer[_2_] is offline

Default moles

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:03:26 +0000, Si wrote:

[note x-post to uk.d-i-y & uk.rec.gardening]

I have a mole at the top of my garden. The first hill appeared about 10
days ago and the second, nearby, a couple of days ago. Both in lawn.

Tough luck, been there done that got the uneven lawn. SWMBO reckoned over
thirty mole hills at the height of last summer.....

What should I do? Our garden is intended to encourage wildlife but hills
all over the grass doesn't seem to me to be a friendly hello from a
visitor. Do the sonic repellents work or do I have to insert a trap in a
tunnel and take it far away?

Forget the sonic repellents, they don't work, and may actually work against
you, as does the old wives' tale about sticking windmills in the ground coz
they don't like the vibrations. All that does is to tend to bring the worms
up close to the surface, so the runs are closer to the surface which tends
to make the lawn more uneven.

Had a mole catcher when we had our first troubles some years ago, two or
three years with LOTS of pellets dropped down the mole hills into the runs,
no effect whatsoever. In the end they just went on their way.

The last lot we had, last summer, was a family. In the end we got them with
traps. DON'T use the so-called 'humane' traps, which are supposed to let
you catch them live and release them a long way off. Moles need to eat
continuously, and will actually starve within two or three hours if they
are confined in a trap. Use traps that actually polish them off there and
then. Much better to kill them off immediately than let them starve.

Oh, and cats don't work. Ours just sit and look at the mole hills
appearing.....

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net