Old 26-11-2007, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default moles

In article , The Wanderer
wrote:

The last lot we had, last summer, was a family. In the end we got them with
traps. DON'T use the so-called 'humane' traps, which are supposed to let
you catch them live and release them a long way off. Moles need to eat
continuously, and will actually starve within two or three hours if they
are confined in a trap. Use traps that actually polish them off there and
then. Much better to kill them off immediately than let them starve.

I have had good success with the plunger type -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Too.../dp/B000VDCL4Y -
which can be set without any digging and give visual feedback when they
have been triggered.

But I also found that filling in the main run - by lifting up the turf
along its full length, filling with sand and topsoil and replacing the
turf - seemed to send the moles elsewhere. They certainly didn't
excavate the same tunnel again -- although they might just choose
another route across the lawn.

Another trick I will try if the varmits come back is to block off the
side of the lawn they usually come in (from (the field next door) with
some roof slates buried vertically along the lawn edge. They don't like
going too deep and may go somewhere else if they can't find an easy
route across your lawn.