Old 26-11-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default horseradish

In article ,
says...
In article 9ce99330-aeda-43e2-ba49-
, Cat(h) says...
On Nov 26, 11:02 am, Fred wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:23:00 +0100, David in Normandy

wrote:
I blended mine with cream in a
liquidiser and as I previously mentioned it absolutely blew
my head off.

I presume you need a lot to put in a liquidiser? I do not own one, but
the ones I saw on display in the shops have the blades quite high from
the base of the jug. I was concerned that if I put a small amount of
root in, that it would fall beneath the blades and miss them
completely.

I have a hand-held one which comes with different attachments to whizz
soup or whip cream, etc. but as a blender works well with small
quantities of herbs and other such things, so should be ok for this
purpose.
This may sound silly, but are you sure you have the genuine article?
I am asking because 1) you said you did not get the pungency you'd
expect, and my experience of horse radish is that you do without
reducing it to dust and 2) I bought somethign in the veg shop the
other day which was labelled "horse radish" and turned out to be
simply one of those long white harmless affairs you can add to salads
if you want to die of terminal gustative boredom.

Cat(h)

I agree. Horse radish is unmistakable. It is one of the
most pungent vegetable roots I've ever come across. I'd put
in on a par with eating hot chillies or chopping up strong
onions.

It is definitely "In your face" and it certainly makes you
cry!

Which makes me wonder whether the original poster has the real thing
since his turned out a bit tame and I have never found a way of toning
the stuff down!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk